Friday, February 1, 2008

Everyone looks good in Red

Fashion experts tell us that when shopping for clothes, choose colors that you will look good in. We've been told that while mauve looks good on some, it is definitely not the color for others. But there is one color that looks good on everyone, particularly on the first Friday of February each year.

The American Heart Association's "Go Red for Women" campaign encourages us to wear red to raise awareness to the fact that heart disease is the number one killer of women. Red is an attention getting kind of color. Hopefully, wearing red today will help focus our attention on preventing heart disease and when to seek medical attention if you have symptoms. (Remember my Thanksgiving story on an earlier posting?)

How can heart disease be prevented? By.........
  • Choosing healthy foods (Lots of fruits and vegetables; less fat and salt)
  • Increasing daily physical activity (For example, walking, even chair exercises :) )
  • Knowing your important health numbers like blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose
  • Knowing the symptoms of heart disease (and not ignoring them if they occur)
  • Getting regular medical check-ups
After my scare in November, I am certainly paying more attention to these things. I can't say that I follow the recommendations to a "t" every single day but, I'm trying a bit harder than in the past.

Even though the campaign talks about women, heart healthy practices apply to men too.
For more information, follow the link to the American Heart Association's Wear Red campaign on this page.

I'm wearing my red jacket. When you reach into your closet, remember that everyone looks good in red today. Be sure to tell your family and friends,too.

2 comments:

Charles Harper said...

Yep..I know what you mean. My wake up happened last year on Mother's Day and again this Christmas Season. I started low carb on Mother's Day 2007; I combined it with Low Fat this Christmas. That might seem like an impossibility, but to me it was necessity. I didn't wear red that day, but I am with you on getting my eating in line.

Deborah HB said...

Congratulations on your lifestyle change initiatives. Keep me posted.